This is the recipe that was on our original 2018 packaging. The big differences are the optional ingredients; dried apricots, flaked almonds and green olives.
Shopping List & Prep (serves 4)
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts (or substitute with tofu and/or vegetables like carrots or sweet potatoes) cut into 1-2" pieces
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ small bunch fresh Italian parsley, roughly chopped—approx. ¼ cups
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large lemon, cut into 6 thick slices
- 15.5 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock or broth
- 1 TBSP butter or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup pitted green olives, roughly chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup dried apricots, roughly chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup flaked almonds, dry toasted (optional)
- 2-4 cups cooked couscous
- In large sauté pan or Dutch oven, melt butter or ghee over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add Masi Masa Spice Blend. Cook, stirring constantly until spices turn darker, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes. Cook, stirring often until tomatoes are broken down, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken (or tofu or garbanzo beans). Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer uncovered at a gentle bubble until chicken (or tofu or garbanzo beans) is cooked through, 3-7 minutes.
- Add yogurt and two-thirds of chopped cilantro and stir until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Serve over basmati rice topped with remaining chopped cilantro.