Our Ras El Hanout spice blend makes a really tasty dry rub. Our recipe and grilling method for dry rubbed chicken drumsticks is a favorite of our friend, Symone (17 years old). She once at seven (or was it eight?) in a sitting!
Shopping List & Prep (serves 6-8, depending on appetite)
5 pounds chicken drumsticks
1 pack Masi Masa Ras El Hanout Spice Blend
1/2 C salt
If you’re in a hurry, you can skip brining (just start at step 3).
- To make brine, dissolve salt in 2 quarts cold water in large Tupperware, bowl or pot (make sure container will fit in your refrigerator).
- Submerge drumsticks in brine, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but no more than 1 hour.
- Have a baking sheet pan (with sides) or large plate ready.
- Place Masi Masa Ras El Hanout Spice Blend on plate.
- Remove drumsticks from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Hold each drumstick by the bone end and press lightly into rub on all sides. Pat gently to remove excess rub. Place on baking sheet/plate.
- Repeat with remaining drumsticks.
- SEE GRILL PREP INSTRUCTIONS BELOW
- Clean and oil cooking grate.
- Place drumsticks, skin side down, on cooler side of grill. Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Rearrange pieces so that drumsticks that were closest to edge are now closer to heat source and vice versa. Cover and cook until drumsticks register 185 to 190 degrees, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Move all drumsticks to hotter side of grill and cook, turning occasionally, until skin is nicely charred, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to platter, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.
TO COOK ON CHARCOAL GRILL: Open bottom vent halfway. Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal briquettes (6 quarts). When top coals are partially covered with ash, pour evenly over half of grill. Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent halfway. Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
TO COOK ON GAS GRILL: Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes. Leave primary burner on high and turn off other burner(s). (Adjust primary burner [or, if using three-burner grill, primary burner and second burner] as needed to maintain grill temperature between 325 and 350 degrees.)
- Symone’s Ras El Hanout Dry Rubbed Chicken Drumsticks
- Moroccan Potato Salad
- Cucumber & Tomato Salad w/Fresh Herbs & Lemon Dressing
This recipe is adapted from Cook’s Illustrated.