Moroccan Grilled Chicken
Shopping List & Prep (serves 4)
- 1 package Masi Masa Ras El Hanout Spice Blend
- 5 lbs chicken drumsticks (also works well with other chicken parts, but whatever you choose, LEAVE THE SKIN ON!)
- ½ cup salt (we prefer kosher salt or sea salt, but regular table salt is fine)
We adapted this grilling technique from an article we found in Cooks Illustrated. The trick is to cook the chicken indirectly on the grill, i.e. with no flame under it.
1) BRINE CHICKEN (allow 30 minutes)
- Dissolve salt in 2 quarts cold water in large Tupperware or stock pot.
- Place chicken in brine.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (up to an hour—more time will result in saltier chicken).
2) RUB CHICKEN
- Place Masi Masa Ras El Hanout Spice Blend on a large flat plate.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
- Smooth the skin so it is covering as much surface area of chicken as possible.
- Press each side lightly into spice (hold on the bone end).
- Remove excess spice by eating gently over plate (to catch excess).
3a) HEAT GRILL (CHARCOAL)
- Open bottom vent halfway.
- Light large chimney starter filled with 6 quarts of charcoal briquettes.
- When coals on top are partly covered with ash, pour evenly over half of grill.
- Set cooking grate in place, cover, and open lid vent halfway.
- Heat grill until hot, about 5 minutes.
3b) HEAT GRILL (GAS)
- Turn all burners to high, cover, and heat grill until hot, about 15 minutes.
- Turn off half of the burners so that one side of grill is on and the other is off.
- Close lid and check temperature—should be about 350°, if higher, lower flame.
4) GRILL CHICKEN
Note: these times are based on drumsticks. If using other chicken parts you may need to adjust time.
- Clean and oil cooking grate.
- Place chicken, skin side down, on cooler side of grill.
- Cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Swap chicken that were closest to heat source with ones that were furthest away.
- Cover and cook until thickest part of chicken is 185° to 190°—20 to 30 minutes.
- Char skin by moving all of the chicken to the hot side of grill and cooking, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to platter, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest for 10 minutes.
The chicken is great with hummus, pita bread (or really any crusty bread), olives and a tomato cucumber salad.
(This recipe is equally wonderful when made with our Indian Tikka Masala spice blend. Serve it with some naan, raita and you’re good to go!)