Uncle’s Chicken & Butternut Squash Tagine
This is a recipe that our co-founder, Eric (AKA Masa, which means Uncle in Gujarati) perfected.
Shopping List & Prep (serves 4)
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Toss chicken with 1 TBSP Masi Masa Moroccan Ras El Hanout Spice Blend, set aside.
- In a large dutch (with lid) oven over medium-high heat, heat the oil and brown the chicken skin-side down (in batches — don’t crowd the pan). Remove chicken from pan, set aside.
- Lower heat to medium, add the shallots to the pan and cook until golden brown all over.
- Add the sliced garlic and grated ginger and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining spice blend and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the butternut squash to the pan and stir to coat with shallot, garlic, ginger and spice mixture.
- Arrange the chicken, skin side up, on top of the shallots and squash. Pour chicken stock over chicken and drizzle with honey and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover pan and transfer to the oven.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.
Serve over couscous and top with chopped cilantro. Also great with a little harissa drizzled on top.