Tikka Masala Marinated Grilled ChickenWe like to do the prep the evening before and marinate overnight. (The prep takes about 20 minutes.) If you would prefer to do everything the day of, allow at least 2 hours to marinate.
Shopping List & Prep
- 1 package Masi Masa Indian Tikka Masala Spice Blend
- 4 lbs.bone-in chicken with skin or 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken (breasts and/or thighs)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- 2” piece fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes (approx. 1 TBSP)
- 1 Serrano chili pepper (optional)
- Vegetables for side dish (see SERVING IDEAS below)
- 1 C plain whole-milk yogurt or 1 C buttermilk
- 1/3 C vegetable oil, plus more for brushing (OK to substitute olive oil)
- 1 tsp. Salt, optional
- 4 cups cooked Basmati rice and/or naan bread
- If using boneless breasts, place each breast between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound with flat side of mallet, rolling pin or cast iron pan to 1/2" thickness.
- Place chicken in large resealable plastic bag or tupperware.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. (NOTE: if using Serrano pepper, remove seeds and/or ribs if you want less heat)
- Pour spice mixture into bag or tupperware, seal and turn chicken to coat evenly.
- Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Brush grill grates with oil.
- Scrape excess marinade off chicken; season with salt (optional).
- Grill chicken, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side for boneless chicken, 12-15 minutes per side for bone-in chicken.
Serve with basmati rice and/or naan bread. If you need some veggies, we suggest roasting some cauliflower and carrots seasoned with a little cumin, salt and pepper.