This is the recipe that was on our original 2018 packaging. The big differences are less tomatoes and more yogurt.
Shopping List & Prep (serves 4)
- 1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts or tofu cut into 1½" pieces or 2 14.5 oz cans garbanzo beans
- ½ small bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped—approx. ¾ cups
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup plain full fat yogurt (Greek yogurt NOT recommended)
- 2 TBSP butter or ghee
- 2-4 cups cooked basmati rice
- In large sauté pan or Dutch oven, melt butter or ghee over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add Masi Masa Spice Blend. Cook, stirring constantly until spices turn darker, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes. Cook, stirring often until tomatoes are broken down, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken (or tofu or garbanzo beans). Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer uncovered at a gentle bubble until chicken (or tofu or garbanzo beans) is cooked through, 3-7 minutes.
- Add yogurt and two-thirds of chopped cilantro and stir until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Serve over basmati rice topped with remaining chopped cilantro.