Shopping List & Prep
- 1 package Masi Masa Indian Tikka Masala Spice Blend
- 4 lbs.bone-in chicken with skin or 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken (breasts and/or thighs)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- 2” piece fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes (approx. 1 TBSP)
- 1 Serrano chili pepper (optional)
- Vegetables for side dish (see SERVING IDEAS below)
- 1 C plain whole-milk yogurt or 1 C buttermilk
- 1/3 C vegetable oil, plus more for brushing (OK to substitute olive oil)
- 1 tsp. Salt, optional
- 4 cups cooked Basmati rice and/or naan bread
- If using boneless breasts, place each breast between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound with flat side of mallet, rolling pin or cast iron pan to 1/2" thickness.
- Place chicken in large resealable plastic bag or tupperware.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. (NOTE: if using Serrano pepper, remove seeds and/or ribs if you want less heat)
- Pour spice mixture into bag or tupperware, seal and turn chicken to coat evenly.
- Marinate chicken in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Brush grill grates with oil.
- Scrape excess marinade off chicken; season with salt (optional).
- Grill chicken, turning once, until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side for boneless chicken, 12-15 minutes per side for bone-in chicken.
Serve with basmati rice and/or naan bread. If you need some veggies, we suggest roasting some cauliflower and carrots seasoned with a little cumin, salt and pepper.